Volare Templates (console version)
*Full size templates are in .pdf format. They need to be printed on a plan printing machine. Most cities have plan printing shops that can do this for you, alternatively, you may know a local architect, or engineer who could print the templates for you at a reasonable price.
Volare comes in three versions. This is the console version, the tiller steered utility version is available as a separate set of plans. There is also a stepped version. They're all 15'4â long, 5' wide.
They incorporate a transom splashwell for a long shaft (20â) outboard and built in flotation to make them safe, seaworthy boats.
The length is that of two sheets of 8' plywood and she's built in two halves (bow end and stern end). This enables the majority of the construction work to be carried out in a small workshop.
The stern section is built from straight sided panels. This simplifies much of the marking out and cutting of large sheets and panels. If your timber merchant offers a cutting service they can be cut there.
The bow and stern sections are designed to be joined permanently using epoxy resin between the end frames and additional layers of glass fiber cloth and epoxy resin
over the joint area before applying to the complete outer hull.
The plans package is in 4 parts as follows:
â¢ The construction manual.
â¢ The dimensioned scale plans in letter size format (both imperial and metric dimensions included).
â¢ The full size template drawings of the front hull sections, deck, stem and anchor box.
â¢ The video which shows virtually every step of the build sequence.
Anyone with a basic knowledge of woodworking should be able to make this boat. Whilst this manual sets out the construction sequence in detail, the builder should have a basic knowledge of, and ability in, working with wood and epoxy resins and glass fiber.
Volare Console Specifications:
- Length: 15' 4â
- Beam: 5' 0â
- Empty Hull Weight: 400 lbs
- Suggested Horsepower: 15 hp (2 persons). 25 hp (4 persons)
List of Materials
- Marine Plywood:
- 1/2"x4'x8' (12mmx1220mmx2440mm) 4 sheets
- 3/8"x4'x8' (12mmx1220mmx2440mm) 4 sheets
- 1/4"x4'x8' (12mmx1220mmx2440mm) 4 sheets
- 1 1/2" square timber for the temporary supports about 40' (13m)
- 1 1/2" square timber for batten fixings (reuse temporary support timber) about 10' (3m)
- 1 1/2"x3/4" timber for batten fixings about 200' (60m)
- 7"x1 1/2" timber for the motor board 5' (1500mm)
- Resin and Glass
- 50 yard roll (45m) of 3" (75mm) glass tape
- 14 yards of glass cloth to cover the hull
- Two gallons (9 liters) of epoxy resin
- About 5 pounds (2 kg) of resin thickening powder
- 5 sheets of 8'x4'x2" (1220mmx2440mmx50mm) Styrofoam for the flotation