14ft 9-3/4in x 4ft 3-1/4in x 6in
Flint was designed to meet the requirements of an experienced boatman who lived on an island several miles from the mainland. The boat had to row in a spirited fashion, and be able to cover long distances under the urge of a small outboard motor. Most importantly of all, she had to be able to cut through a steep chop without pounding. The resulting boat has proved to be very successful, and displays the following characteristics:
Flint plans now inclued two sailplan options:
the gaff sloop shown above and a balanced lug
- Stitch-and-Glue construction from pre-computed panel shapes. No strongback, mold, or full-size lofting necessary;
- Large volume built-in emergency buoyancy;
- Two rowing stations to allow for proper trim with differing load distribution;
- Light weight â stripped weight of 50kg/110lbs on recently built hull using Occume Marine Plywood;
- External gunwales reduce labour during construction, allow debris to be washed out when boat is tipped up on her side, and acts as an effective spray deflector;
- High performance from very small outboards â has recorded 6.1 knots using a 2HP Yamaha pushing a load of four people;
- Cruises easily at four knots with a single oarsperson;
- The very sharp entry and pronounced "V" sections prevent pounding and help with steady tracking in a cross-wind;
- Can be re-entered easily after a capsize (has been deliberately capsized for testing) and can be rowed safely with all the water she can hold after being righted. This characteristic is a major safety factor;
- Can be cartopped.
- Two sail plan options included in plans
Flint plans package contains 10 sheets of A3-sized drawings, 2 sheets of A4 drawings, and a nine-page illustrated instruction manual. Metric and Imperial versions of the plans available.
Flint plans include all details for the simple, effective sail rig shown below
Ross Lillistone's Flint plans contains 15 sheets of A3 drawings plus a 15 page illustrated instruction manual. Metric and Imperial versions of the plans available.